Friday, October 17, 2008

Psalm 119.4-5 You have commanded Your precepts to be kept diligently. Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping Your statutes!

Psalm 119.4-5

You have commanded Your precepts to be kept diligently. Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping Your statutes!


Yes, Lord, I understand and accept the command: to obey You as proof of my love for You. But I cannot do this faithfully in my own strength; all I can do is plead for strength and guidance. Steadfastness must come from the Holy Spirit, and Lord, often I fail to pay attention to His gentle nudges. Yet that’s not inattention but refusal to be obedient, and an act of self-will.

Oh, Lord, forgive me and change my heart. What good does it do me to sit here morning after morning, pleading for understanding, when I refuse to obey when You give me a nudge in that direction? I know when those nudges are from You, but I choose to ignore them, to go my own way, do my own thing. Lord, forgive me and transform me!

No comments: